OUR GRATITUDE

Thursday, February 19, 2009

HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW SCRIPTURE?


GOOGLE

I found myself in a conversation the other evening with my oldest son, quite by surprise, with him quoting scripture to me. Of course my first response after I stopped laughing was, how do you even know scripture?" as he reminded me that he spent 4 years in a Catholic High School. I was still surprised that any of it had rubbed off on him. I spent quite a few years after the end of my first marriage, the loss of both of my parents, and a 6 month old daughter, the end of my second marriage, and the birth of two more children to raise as a single parent rebelling against everything I had every believed about "religion." Not my belief in God, as much as my belief in the written word and how people individually interpreted, and lived it. Funny thing was my response to this scripture verse was, “well, of course nothing has changed.” And flashes of all my years in sales and management flashed before my eyes, as the voice of every motivational speaker I have ever heard, buzzed in my ears.

So many believe the state of the economy, the price of gas, the loss of resources , late mortgage payments, and any other negative turn in their life is the result of the above mentioned, totally ignoring….their own responsibility to make a difference in their life and in turn, the lives of others. The one thing that the difficult and sad things in my life have given me, are the experiences….that I can only consider blessings. I am blessed to have learned so long ago what “nothing under the sun is new,” means. Chaucer knew when he created "Canterbury Tales."

I know at this moment there are people reading this pondering that phrase, but they should try to remember…the scriptures we learned as children and the meaning they have had in our life when we quiet our mind and let the voice within, remind us…what our purpose here is. It has been scientifically proven that you are what you think about and if you are thinking, “my life is so miserable because….yada…yada…then your life “is” so miserable “as long as you think about it that way“, and it will continue to be just that….MISERABLE.

Why, when we know this, do we ever stray away from this mindset? There are hundreds of reasons, but I think the most outstanding one is that we have no idea what our purpose is… and we spend so much of our life looking for it (I’m speaking right here about myself), but if instead of in HINDSIGHT recognizing our place in the world, we can see it in FORESIGHT…we will be in DEFINITENESS OF PURPOSE and searching will no longer be a vicious circle.

Everyone and everything that has been haled as great or completed, is predominantly thought of that way, but what is missing in that? The journey is the missing secret to the success of everyone and everything that has been haled as great or completed. Many people have said to me, your life has been so tragic and they are surprised when I chuckle about that and simply dismiss it, but what “they” are missing is that what is so wonderful about my life…is the sorrow and the tragedy…when I have acknowledged it and moved through it to the other side, to see the sun still shining, because “nothing under the sun is new.”

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: